The mission of the collaborative is to mobilize policy action to curb childhood obesity in Harris County.
About Healthy Living Matters (HLM)
In September of 2011, the Houston Endowment awarded a grant of $2.5 million dollars to The Harris County Healthcare Alliance to fund a local private-public partnership called the Houston/Harris County Childhood Obesity Prevention Collaborative. The Collaborative (now called Healthy Living Matters) consists of a multi-sector group of local leaders, engaged in a two-year planning initiative to curb childhood obesity in Houston/Harris County by using policy action to enact system and environmental change.
By the end of 2013, the Healthy Living Matters team will:
- Conduct an assessment of food access and built environment within Houston/Harris County
- Provide learning opportunities related to childhood obesity, its impact on the community, and policy strategies to address it
- Scan and monitor federal, state and local policy trends and developments
- Identify local issues and prioritize policies that have an impact on childhood obesity
- Develop a Community Action Plan, which serves as a road map for policy implementation